Friday, January 14, 2011

No luck with Taxi's

Front of the taxi cab
Play area in our complex

Leaving the house to go any where is such a chore.  A chore that I don't particularly like. If we want to get a taxi, which is the only way to get around, we have to go out the back gate.  It is a bit of a walk and we pass 2 small play areas that the kids always want to stop and play at even when it is freezing outside.  Yesterday we sat outside the back gate for 40 minutes freezing in the cold just hoping to catch a taxi. Sophia and Tate were frozen by the time I decided we needed to cancel our outing and go back inside.  I was reluctant to try leaving again today but the kids need to get out and play.  So we ventured out again this morning.  Getting to the back gate and getting a taxi went considerably well.  I was pleased.  We had a nice play date with friends...then it was time for us to go home. Kids were cranky and ready for naps. Tate refused to be carried and Sophia was either sluggish or demanded to be carried. We made our way to a main intersection just to see taxi after taxi full of passengers. In the mean time, I'm trying to keep Tate from jumping off the curb, Sophia from crying, and dealing with people taking pictures of the kids.
walking to back gate
Sophia wanted to take a break on this bench












There is never a good place for a mom with 2 small kids to stand by a curb and watch the cars rush by while trying to hale a taxi.  I was getting quite anxious but kept telling myself not to loose it.  I decided to make my way towards the Mc D's. I figured there would be more people being dropped off in that area. So there we went...going in the opposite direction. Dodging more people asking to take pictures, cars parking on sidewalks, pot holes, etc.  Finally 1 and 1/2 hours later and after 2 empty taxi's waved me off...I gave up. We went to McD's, let the kids play until their heart's content. By that time, Adam was able to get off work, come by and help us get a taxi.  I am just about ready to give up on going anywhere....(the joys of the new life:-)

Tate fell fast to sleep on
the dirty floor of the taxi
Sophia settled down with a movie
on the iPod



5 comments:

Omi and Opi said...

Love the photos! No wonder everyone wants to snap a picture - these kids are adorable :) Hopefully they will appreciate their mom's perseverance when they read this post someday! You're an awesome mom :)

Steve, Ananda, Autumn & Summer said...

Sho what an adventure,getting around a new world with two little toddlers. You are a super mom, stay positive and live in the now. That may help make each crazy moment better. Love and think of you often.

Sabrina said...

Wow Shoshana sounds hectic. Im sure things will get easier once you get the hang of things. geeze id be a little leary about the meat market too. Good luck and love you

Kaer said...

Gee, I wish I was cute enough for people to want to take pictures of me everywhere I went, Ok not really. I can see why you don't want to leave the apartment without Adam and why people out West like to have their own transportation instead of using Public Trans. That's just crazy that you couldn't get home...

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

If getting out of the house was that rough for me and the kids, I would never leave! You are my hero. I hope things gets easier in that regard!